Tuesday 21 July 2009

Liberia -v- Benin continued

We've been in Benin for a little over 5 months now, and are already over half way through our time here. The sights and sounds and smells of Cotonou are now very familiar, and I have to concentrate hard to remember the finer details of life in Liberia. But one difference between the two countries jumps out at me every day: how peaceful the Beninoise are compared to the Liberians. I have seen no mothers beating their children (and no beating-sticks for sale); I've seen no men beating their wives or girlfriends, or screaming women beating their husbands or boyfriends; no fights in the street; no stonings; no attacks on police; no vigilante mobs, and no bodies in the street or bodies in the water...I think Liberia will need several generations of peace before her people become like the Beninoise. Olly

1 comment:

Steven said...

I could not agree more!