Tuesday 7 October 2008

I feel terrible!

I feel terrible. Today we had to let two of my Liberian drivers go, and I can't get the image of their sad faces out of my mind as they left the ship. They both very matter-of-factly put their trust in God, and wandered back into the 85% under-employment that plagues Liberia. I guess it will be months before they find a regular job again, and in the meantime they will be scraping around for every cent they can find to feed their extended families. This is the first time I've really come across this issue - in the past I have managed to get most of my day-workers onto the ship as crew members, or we've been able to promise them employment when the ship returns to Liberia...but not this time - there are no plans for the ship to return to Liberia in the forseable future. I expect we will experience today's sadness again and again over the next 2 months as we prepare to leave Liberia and continue laying-off our Liberian staff. Olly

3 comments:

cheryl said...

So sorry-o!! Sorry for them, for you, and the fact that the upcoming sail will be a hard one for many after more than just one year in Liberia.

Anonymous said...

To make matters worse, its only two months from the Christmas season.

Anonymous said...

Christmas? Like THATS important to starving Liberians! Olly