Wednesday 17 October 2007

Working in the Recovery Room...

Today I repaired a broken wall cabinet in the Africa Mercy's Recovery Room - it was the furthest yet I had ventured into the hospital, and it was a very moving experience for me, as I worked only inches from an unconscious patient who had just received cleft lip surgery and was slowly staining her pillow and sheets red with a mixture of drool and blood. She was covered in drips and wires that led to machines that went ping, but during the course of my work she slowly started to come around. Her initial blind panic and terror as she awoke was very quickly replaced with peace and trust as she looked around and saw she was surrounded by loving and caring Mercy Ships anaesthesiologists and nurses. How privileged I was to see that moment! Olly

No comments: