Wednesday 6 February 2008

A short note about poo

Today I saw a naked little boy toddle out of the filthy alley that he was playing in, onto the broken pavement I was walking on next to the roaring traffic, where he squatted down and did a horribly runny poo, before going back to playing in the alley again as if nothing had happened (no toilet paper, no washing of hands...). When I'd finished retching, I started thinking about just how clever God was when he invented poo - bearing in mind that it is the source of such great illness if not disposed of correctly - so God made it bad to look at and really stinky. Which works. In my years in Liberia working with Mercy Ships and Equip, I have come across many areas where people use the beach or the bush as their bathroom, and the only indication of this is the smell, which can be experienced a long way away, I can ashore you. Nothing on earth stinks like poo poo, and it's smell immediately sends warning bells ringing in our brains. What a brilliant way of keeping us away from so much disease and sickness. Olly

No comments: