Thursday 10 January 2008

Old Anastasis photo


Today I found this great photo of the Anastasis hitting the dock at full speed in Benin in November 2004, when the engines failed to go into reverse and the ship couldn't slow down. I remember standing on Aft Deck with Noah and Anna and hearing the announcement "brace for impact, brace for impact!" at the time. A team of ship repairers came from Ghana to mend the damaged bow. Strange to think its sitting on a beach right now in India waiting to be cut up for scrap. Olly

2 comments:

Nadine said...

I love the picture. I can imagine it was a funny experience. Was anybody hurt?

Tyrone said...

Olly, Olly...all you had to do is go to my old tyronebcookin website linked off of my current website I have even more pictures of it!

As I remember (because I was also on aft deck sipping coffee) right before we hit the dock Laurence Adjai (spelling?) was rushing to the side with the 'big balloons' to use as a cushion because we almost hit the ship right next to us that was already docked...you could have reached out and high-fived one of the other 'deckies' on the other ship.

I don't think anyone got hurt, just startled.